NY or Boston area (3-days/wk) + flex remote (2-days/wk).
Competitive base ($175k-$200k range) + equity.
About the company
Otonomi is a venture-backed seed-stage insurtech startup that is tackling the global and persistent issue of supply chain delays and disruptions. Our solution transforms cargo insurance policies into fast, cost-effective, and transparent digital products. Powered by our proprietary technologies in data-activated triggers, smart contracts, and integrated digital wallets, we reduce claim resolution times from 45 days to 45 minutes, lowering admin costs by 75%. Our algorithmic underwriting model and advanced risk scenario capabilities unleash new markets while achieving unparalleled profitability.
The insurance industry has been largely untouched by tech, so the opportunity here is huge: the global logistics insurance market is valued at $50B+ per year and growing, and its technical transformation is only just beginning.
Who we are
We’re a growing team of finance, supply chain, web2 and web3 veterans hailing from Citi, LogMeIn, Nissan, and other corners of the fintech and software universe who share a common goal of building innovative products for an enormous industry in great need of technical innovation.
We are backed by Lloyd’s of London, one of the largest insurance conglomerates in the world, and venture capital specializing in logistics, insurtech, and web3.
What you’ll do
As our first in-house engineering hire, you will become a key part of our product and engineering team, and have ownership and influence over many areas including the technological stack, engineering organization, and product roadmap. You will be part of an early team of passionate high-achievers, working closely with the CTO, CEO, and stakeholders such as insurance clients, shipping customers, and investors to bring Otonomi’s mission to life.
On our road to a Series A fundraise, we’re looking for someone who is comfortable with ambiguity and has a strong desire to work both autonomously and in groups. You will have a ton of say and impact on the direction and future of our company and will help solve some of the biggest challenges we’ll face.
You will have a critical role in:
- Building and owning our product infrastructure across the full stack (Node.js, React, MySQL/Postgres, Solidity, Python)
- Writing clean, testable, scalable, efficient, and well-documented code in an agile environment
- Anchoring a best-in-class engineering group which will be distributed largely in the US
- Working closely with our co-founders to review and execute on the product roadmap, and prioritizing features according to customer needs
- Making key decisions about architecture and vendor selection
- Setting up or maintaining DevOps infrastructure such as CI/CD pipelines, systems monitoring, and reliability tooling
- Mentoring and inspiring your fellow engineers
What you’ll bring
- 5–7+ years of development experience working on full stack application development in relevant languages, frameworks, and database schemes
- Experience building/shipping an API-based fintech, crypto, or security product
- Proficiency in server-side code and the design of web applications (e.g., APIs, integrations, deserialization, microservices, etc.)
- A willingness to test, learn, and iterate by validating new features and quickly moving on if they don’t work
- Experience designing scalable real-time web applications.
- Strong communication skills coupled with work ethic, grit, integrity, and passion
- Experience orchestrating, maintaining, migrating systems in the cloud (GCP, AWS)
- (optional) Architectural & back-end experience with web3/blockchain (Solidity, Ethereum/EVM)
- (optional) Experience working in the insurance or logistics/aviation/marine industries
- (optional) DevOps experience with Docker, GCP/AWS, logging/monitoring tools
- (optional) Early-stage startup experience, preferably in fintech, defi, or security
- (optional) You have been in a “tech lead” position in the past and have experience with hiring & management of engineers
Why you should join us
- You want to help build the Lemonade of cargo insurance from the ground up
- As an early core team member, you’ll play a key role in helping shape our vision, culture, and engineering practices.
- If you’ve ever considered being a technical founder yourself, this is the ideal environment to earn your chops and embark on your future venture with confidence and poise
- The market opportunity is massive: estimates put the global logistics insurance market size between $50B and $100B
- Competitive mix of salary and equity compensation
- Flexible work policy
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and HSA programs via Justworks
- Home office stipend
Please apply by sending your resume to: