Role: Senior Data Engineer
NY or Boston area (3-days/wk) + flex remote (2-days/wk).
Competitive base ($140k-$165k range) + equity.
About the company
Otonomi is a venture-backed seed-stage insurtech startup that is tackling the global and persistent issue of supply chain delays and disruptions. Our solution transforms cargo insurance policies into fast, cost-effective, and transparent digital products. Powered by our proprietary technologies in data-activated triggers, smart contracts, and integrated digital wallets, we reduce claim resolution times from 45 days to 45 minutes, lowering admin costs by 75%. Our algorithmic underwriting model and advanced risk scenario capabilities unleash new markets while achieving unparalleled profitability.
The insurance industry has been largely untouched by tech, so the opportunity here is huge: the global logistics insurance market is valued at $50B+ per year and growing, and its technical transformation is only just beginning.
Who we are
We’re a growing team of finance, supply chain, web2 and web3 veterans hailing from Citi, LogMeIn, Nissan, and other corners of the fintech and software universe who share a common goal of building innovative products for an enormous industry in great need of technical innovation.
We are backed by Lloyd’s of London, one of the largest insurance conglomerates in the world, and venture capital specializing in logistics, insurtech, and web3.
What you’ll do
As one of our first engineering hires, you will become a key member of our engineering team, and have ownership and influence over many areas including the technological stack, engineering organization, and product roadmap. You will be part of an early team of passionate high-achievers, working closely with the CTO, CEO, and stakeholders such as insurance clients, shipping customers, and investors to bring Otonomi’s mission to life.
On our road to a Series A fundraise, we’re looking for someone who is comfortable with ambiguity and has a strong desire to work both autonomously and in groups. You will have a ton of say and impact on the direction and future of our company and will help solve some of the biggest challenges we’ll face.
- Write, test and review data pipelines powered by Talend, AWS services, and Snowflake
- Write, test and review complex SQL queries and stored procedures for Postgres and MySQL.
- Continuously improve our system, tests, and Data Quality Indicators.
- Understand thoroughly the data that we’re using and how it translates to product success
- Work closely with our co-founders to analyze how best to source and process data to achieve our product roadmap
- Making key decisions about data processes, data infrastructure, and data sources
What you’ll bring
- 5+ years of experience working with data engineering technologies such as Talend or Airflow, AWS Athena, large-scale data storage, and data warehouses such as Snowflake, security, and retrieval.
- Deep understanding of ETL pipelines and data warehouses
- Experience writing, testing, and reviewing microbatch or streaming ETL pipelines with relational databases and distributed systems.
- Demonstrated experience with SQL and programming languages such as Python, Java.
- Solid quantitative and analytical foundations
- Willingness to use / learn functional programming in Python
- Experience using data tools and services in AWS, GCP, DO, or other cloud providers
- (optional) Data system design and ETL experience with technologies such as Postgres, Docker
Why you should join us
- You want to help build the Lemonade of cargo insurance from the ground up
- As an early core team member, you’ll play a key role in helping shape our vision, culture, and engineering practices.
- If you’ve ever considered being a technical founder yourself, this is the ideal environment to earn your chops and embark on your future venture with confidence and poise
- The market opportunity is massive: estimates put the global logistics insurance market size between $50B and $100B
- Competitive mix of salary and equity compensation
- Flexible work policy
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and HSA programs via Justworks
- Home office stipend
Please apply by sending your resume to: